Use traditional metalsmithing skills
such as sawing and piercing sheet metal,
hole punching, riveting, chasing, texturing
rubber stamping, and etching
to design and create your own little metal book!
Coptic Stitch Binding
This fun workshop is suitable for both
jewelry artists and book artists of all skill levels.
Beginners are welcome!
It takes two full days to make one or two little metal books.
Etched Lil' Thistle Book
Front & Back, with Rubber Stamps
Here's what you'll learn in the process:
• Book design, including size dimensions and
creating an original front and back cover design
• Using the jeweler's saw to saw and pierce out
intricate designs from sheet metal
• Filing and polishing techniques
• Metal hole punching
• Rubber stamping & etching
• Using chasing tools and texturing hammers
• Incorporating mica-sheet windows
• Artificially aging metal using liver of sulfur
• Tearing down sheets of printmaking paper for books
• Coptic stitch binding technique